عنوان مقاله [English]
Extended Abstract :
The weakness in efficient management of water resources , especially in common international watersheds , lack of efficient water diplomacy , inappropriate use of international water resources in 21st century – which due to severe shortage , we witness a growing increase in role and importance of water and water resources in the process of nations living especially in Middle - East region , can underlie the development of inclusive regional crises . One of common water basins is the Arvandrood , which has a special criticality and position according to current geopolitical status . It is necessary to adopt a suitable strategy in diplomatic relations between Iran and Iraq on how to manage and operate this common water basin. In the following research , using experts opinions , we collected influential environmental factors in the Arvandrood hydropolitics and with application of SWOT Matrix analysis , it is determined that at the current situation the country’s strategy toward the Arvandrood hydropolitics against Iraq should be aggressive ; and then we prioritized strategies obtained from expert opinions with application of Analytic Hierarchy Process ( AHP ) . “ Emphasizing the governors for special attention and allocating appropriate funds in order to promote and develop relative strategic and infrastructural economic , nuclear and military equipment and industries with application of inland scientific and academic potentials and capacities in order to reach balance and relative superiority against Iraq ” has been selected as the most preference and effective strategy gaining a weight of ( 0.412 ) .
Arvandrood as a joint border river between Iran and Iraq in different time and historical periods , especially in recent years due to the specific geopolitical situation of Iraq has caused the conflict of two countries over the ownership and exploitation of the river . Sometimes these conflicts has led to the formation of military conflict and war . The last example for this situation was an imposing eight - year war that has caused a great deal of human , structural and economic casualties , especially for Iran . In the future , this shared watershed could also pave the way for divergence and re-disputation , especially from the Iraqi government , given its limited access to easy access to Persian Gulf waters . One of common water basins is the Arvandrood , which has a special criticality and position according to current geopolitical status . It is necessary to adopt a suitable strategy in diplomatic relations between Iran and Iraq on how to manage and operate this common water basin .
Therefore , in the current research , in order to answer the question , what is the most important and effective Iranian strategy towards Arvandrood hydropolitics? While trying to determine the strategy of our country , we present effective strategies for the hydropolitics of Arvandrood and in the continue to prioritize the strategies ahead.
The type of this research in terms of purpose is functional , and in terms of research method is a combination of descriptive - analytical methods and the use of survey methods is interview with experts and questionnaires . In the current study 14 knowledgeable experts in the field of research are used to identify the internal ( IFE ) and external ( EFE ) factors affecting the Arvandrood hydropolitic and to analyze the data , we use the analysis of strengths , weaknesses, opportunities , and threats matrix ( SWOT ) and the Analytical Hierarchy Process ( AHP ) .
Results and Discussion :
With application of analysis of SWOT Matrix , it is determined that at the current situation the country’s strategy toward the Arvandrood hydropolitic against Iraq should be aggressive ; and then we prioritized declared strategies from expert opinions by using of Analytical Hierarchy Process ( AHP ) . “ Emphasizing the governors for special attention and allocating appropriate funds in order to promote and develop relative strategic and infrastructural economic , nuclear and military equipment and industries with application of inland scientific and academic potentials and capacities in order to reach balance and relative superiority against Iraq ” has been selected as the most preference and effective strategy gaining a weight of ( 0.412 ( . and in the Finally , the strategies obtained were prioritized based on expert opinion and weight .
Regarding the Arvand water basin , government officials should pay special attention and allocate appropriate funds to promote and develop relative strategic and infrastructural economic , nuclear and military equipment and industries using the country's scientific , technical , and academic capacities and capabilities by achieving relative balance and superiority over Iraq by providing diplomacy and consulting to provide motivation and interest in the Iraqi government to participate in the management and operation of the Arvandrood joint watershed .
In the next step , the diplomacy and foreign policy apparatus of the country would have to formulate a special working group and conduct regular negotiations with the Iraqi and Turkish governments to consider the solutions in order to maximize the use of water basin as much as possible . Consulting and cooperating with Turkey as an influential country in supplying water to Arvandrood in view of its large dam projects, through formal and legal agreement to review extensive dam projects and water supply to the Arvandrood River .
Therefore the cooperation of the three countries Iran , Iraq and Turkey on how to use Arvand correctly It will bring peace and stability to the region , And it will prevent any conflict between Iran and Iraq in the future .
Key words :
Hydropolitic , Arvandrood , Strategy , Water Diplomacy , Frontier River .
19. مسرور، محمد، 1396، ابعاد سیاسی مسائل آبی (هیدروپلیتیک) ایران و همسایگان و چشمانداز آیندة آن، پایاننامه کارشناسی ارشد، دانشگاه امام صادق، رشته معارف اسلامی.
21. موسوینیا، سیدعارف، 1392، چالشهای هیدروپلیتیک (مطالعة موردی ایران و عراق)، پایاننامه کارشناسی ارشد، دانشگاه علامه طباطبایی، رشته مطالعات خاور و شمال آفریقا.
27. Abadan Ports and Maritime Management Organization Website. 2015, Map of Arvand. Extracted from: abadanport.pmo.ir. [In Persian].
28. Akhbari, A.; Akhbari, M.; Ismailpour, A.; Ranjbar, M. and Bahak, B., 2020, Explaining the role of hydropolitics in the foreign policy of Afghanistan and Iran (2015-2019). New Attitudes in Human Geography Journal. Vol. 12, No. 3, PP. 213-235. [In Persian].
29. Boroushaki, S. and Malczewsi, L., 2008, Implementing an extension of the analytical herarchy process using orderesd weighted averaging operators with fuzzy quantifiers in ArcGIS. Computers and Geosciences, 34.
30. Camp, J. and Harkaway, R., 2004, Strategic Geography of the Middle East. Translation by Hosseini, M. First Edition. Tehran: Strategic Studies Institute. [In Persian].
31. Cantori, Louis J. and Spiegel, Steven, 1970, The International politics, of Region: A comparative approach, New Jersey, prentice Hall.
32. David, F., 2011, Strategic Management. Translation by Parsaian, A & Aarabi, M. 19th Edition. . Tehran: Ganjineh publication. [In Persian].
33. Dehshiri, M. and Hekmatara, H., 2018, Iran's water diplomacy with its neighbors. Trategic and Macro Policies Journal. Vol. 6, No. 4, PP. 596-616. [In Persian].
34. Deutsch, Karlw. 1957, Political community and the north Atlantic Area, Princeton University.
35. Fuller, G., 1998, the Center of the Universe the Geopolitics of Iran. Translation by Mokhber, A. Second Edition. Tehran: Markaz publication. [In Persian].
36. Gargij, F. and Khazaei, Z., 2019, Study of the effect of Helmand hydropolitics on the national security of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Political Science Journal. Vol. 14, No. 47, PP. 49-70. [In Persian].
37. Ghaderi, I., 2018, Study of the Hydropolitical Situation of Little Zab in Iran-Iraq Political Relations. Master Thesis. Payame Noor University West of Tehran. Political science. [In Persian].
38. Ghavam, A., 2010, Principles of Foreigner and International policy. 16th Edition. Tehran: Samt publication. [In Persian].
39. Hajkowicz, S.; Young, M.; Wheeler, S.; MacDonald, D.H., and Young, D., 2000, supporting decisions: understanding natural resource management assessment technigues. CSIRO Land and Water.
40. Hashemi, M.; Farajirad, A. and Soror, R., 2016, Investigating the Effective Factors of Iraq's Geopolitics and its Impact on National Security of Islamic Republic of Iran. International Political Research Journal. Vol. 8, No. 28, PP. 63-94. [In Persian].
41. Karimipour, Y., 2000, an Introduction to Iranian Neighborhood Relations. First Edition. Tehran: Tarbiat Moalem Academic Jihad publication. [In Persian].
42. Kordi, M. and Ghasabzadeh, Z., 2016, Choosing the Optimal Strategy Using a Combination of SWOT and FANP Techniques. Strategic Management Research Journal Vol. 22, No. 2, PP. 113-138. [In Persian].
43. Larichev, O. I. and Moshkovich, H. M., 1995, ZAPROS-LM-a method and system for ordering multi attribute alternatives, European J. of Operational Research, 82.
44. Linkov, I.; Satterstorm, F.K.; Steevens, J.; Fergusun, E. and Pleus, R.C., 2007, Multi-criteria decision analysis and environmental risk assessment for nanomaterials. J. of Nanoparticle Research, 9.
45. Mabroor, H.; Manzoor Khan, A. and Muhammad, I., 2019, Water security and environmental security in a national and regional context: envisioning environmental diplomacy for cooperation, Water Policy, No. 21, PP. 1139-1161.
46. Masroor, M., 2017, Political Dimensions of Water (Hydropolitics) Issues of Iran and Its Neighbors and Its Future Perspective, Master Thesis. Imam Sadegh University, Islamic Education. [In Persian].
47. Mianabadi, H. and Afshar, A., 2007, Fuzzy group decision making, calculating the relative weight of decision makers, practical study: selection of PhD students, Iranian Engineering Education Journal. Vol. 9, No. 35, PP. 31-53. [In Persian].
48. Mitrany, D., 1948, the functional Approach to world organizational, International Affairs.
49. Mohseni, B. and Rahimipour, M., 2011, the impact of Arvandrood Hydropolitic on Iran-Iraq Future Relations, Strategic Policy Research Journal. Vol. 1, No. 3, PP. 157-180. [In Persian].
50. Mojani, A., 2015, the Roots of the Islamic Caliphate Revival and Its Geopolitical Impact. Tehran: Foreign Office publication. [In Persian].
51. Mokhtari-Hashi, H. and Kaviani Rad, M., 2019, processing the concept of hydropolitics. Water and Sustainable Development Journal. Vol. 6, No. 2, PP. 15-26. [In Persian].
52. Motaghi, A.; Kavianirad, M.; Zarghani, H. and Sadrania, H., 2018, Identifying and Analyzing the Effective Factors on Iran-Afghanistan Hydropolitical Relations in the Harirood Water Basin. Subcontinent Studies Journal. Vol. 10, No. 34, PP. 235-254. [In Persian].
53. Mousavinia, A., 2013, Hydropolitical Challenges (Case Study of Iran and Iraq), Master Thesis. Allameh Tabatabai University, East and North Africa Studies. [In Persian].
54. Nami, M. and Mohamadpour, A., 2008,Geography of Iraq with emphasis on Geopolitical Issues. Tehran: Geographical Organization of the Armed Forces publication. [In Persian].
55. Niromandfard, F. and Shahidi, A., 2018, Hydropolitic of Iran and Iraq and optimizing the use of border water. Global Politics Journal. Vol. 7, No. 2, PP. 233-259. [In Persian].
56. Qureshi, Z.; Mianabadi, H. and Mousaviehshafi, M., 2019, the role of power in water diplomacy. Iranian Water Resources Research Journal. Vol. 15, No. 2, PP. 242-264. [In Persian].
57. Roghani, B.; Fereshtehpour, M. and Aliaei, M., 2020, Hydropolitics of Transboundary Aquifers: Towards Applied Partnerships. Geopolitics Journal. Vol. 16, No. 2, PP. 187-216. [In Persian].
58. Sadeghian, N., 2008, Overview of Iran law in Arvandrood based on International law and existing documents.Ganjineh-e-Asnad Journal. No 70, PP. 9-20. [In Persian].
59. Samei, S.; Akhbari, M. and Heidari, G., 2020, Pattern of Regional Cooperation Based on Water Diplomacy (Case Study of Iran, Turkey and Iraq). New Attitudes in Human Geography Journal. Vol. 12, No. 3, PP. 171-185. [In Persian].
60. Vasegh, M.; Safavi, Y. and Hoseini, S., 2016, Complementary approach, its basics and functions with an emphasis on the south-east of Iran. Geopolitics Journal. Vol. 12, No. 1, PP. 24-59. [In Persian].